- Job DescriptionDental Assistant provides support to the dentist to perform dental procedures in a timely, efficient and safe manner. Dental assistant prepares for and supports patients for treatment, and assists the Dentist with clinical procedures.
- CodeHSS/ Q 2401
- NSQF LevelLevel 4
- Notional Hours700
- Accrediting BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Certifying BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Proposed Occupation
Dental Assistant in the Healthcare Industry is also known as a Chair-side Assistant- Dental Surgery Assistant.
- International Comparability
While writing the NOSs the UK NOSs were also referred to and an effort was taken to maintain comparability in the technical part of the NOSs.
- Progression Pathway
Dental Assistant may progress in the same field as Team leader or supervisor or they may take lateral entry into direct patient care in the hospital setting or they may progress into administrative field as front desk assistant or manager
- Qualification File NSQF- Dental Assistant.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Annexure 2- Occupational Mapping Report
- Annexure 3- Functional Analysis Report - Allied Healthcare & Paramedics - 290413
- Annexure 4-RFP - HSSC NOS
- Annexure 5- Validation Group & Industry Consultations
- Annexure 6- QP-NOS- Certificate of Industry Engagement for building QPs
- Annexure 7- QA of Assessment in HSSC
Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Mandatory/ Optional Estimated size (Hours) Level HSS/ N 2401: Perform supportive tasks Mandatory 700 (Cumulative notional hour for all NOS) 4 HSS/ N 2402: Prepare work area for patient treatment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2403: Assist with intra-oral preventive procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2404: Assist with intra-oral Restorative Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2405: Assist with operative dentistry procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2406: Assist with endodontic procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2407: Assist with prosthodontics procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2408: Assist with periodontal procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2409: Assist with orthodontic procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9603: Act within the limits of one?s competence and authority Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9603: Act within the limits of one?s competence and authority Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9604: Work effectively with others Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9605: Manage work to meet requirements Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9606: Maintain a safe healthy and secure working environment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9607: Practice Code of conduct while performing duties Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9609: Follow biomedical waste disposal protocols Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9610: Follow infection control policies and procedures Mandatory 4