Emergency Medical Technician-Basic
- Job DescriptionIndividuals at this job need to provide emergency medical support and care to individuals who are critically ill or injured and transport them to a medical facility within stipulated time limits.
- CodeHSS/Q 2301
- NSQF LevelLevel 4
- Notional Hours360
- Accrediting BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Certifying BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Proposed Occupation
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in the Healthcare Industry is also known as a lifesaver or paramedic.
- International Comparability
While writing the NOSs the UK NOSs were also referred to and an effort was taken to maintain comparability in the technical part of the NOSs.
- Progression Pathway
Level 5- Emergency Medical Technician-Advanced
- Qualification File NSQF- Emergency Medical Technician-Basic.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Annexure 2- Occupational Mapping Report
- Annexure 3- Functional Analysis Report - Allied Healthcare & Paramedics - 290413
- Annexure 4-RFP - HSSC NOS
- Annexure 5- Validation Group & Industry Consultations
- Annexure 6- QP-NOS- Certificate of Industry Engagement for building QPs
- Annexure 7- QA of Assessment in HSSC
Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Mandatory/ Optional Estimated size (Hours) Level HSS/ N 2301: Respond to emergency calls Mandatory 360 (Cumulative Notional Hour for all NOS) 4 HSS/ N 2302: Size up the scene at the site Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2303: Follow evidence based protocol while managing patients Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2304: Assess patient at the site Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2305: Patient triage based on the defined clinical criteria of severity of illness Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2306: Manage cardiovascular emergency Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2307: Manage cerebrovascular emergency Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2308: Manage allergic reaction Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2309: Manage poisoning or overdose Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2310: Manage environmental emergency Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2311: Manage behavioural emergency Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2312: Manage obstetrics/gynaecology emergencies Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2313: Manage bleeding and shock Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2314: Manage soft tissue injuries and burns Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2315: Manage musculoskeletal injuries Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2316: Manage injuries to head and spine Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2317: Manage infants neonates and children Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2319: Manage severe abdominal pain Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2320: Manage mass casualty incident Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2321: Select the proper provider institute for transfer Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2322: Transport patient to the provider institute Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2323: Manage patient handover to the provider institute Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2324: Manage diabetes emergency Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9601: Collate and communicate health information Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9603: Act within the limits of one?s competence and authority Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9604: Work effectively with others Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9605: Manage work to meet requirements Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9606: Maintain a safe healthy and secure working environment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9607: Practice Code of conduct while performing duties Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9609: Follow biomedical waste disposal protocols Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9610: Follow infection control policies and procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9611: Monitor and assure quality Mandatory 4