Furniture and Cabinet Maker (ATS)
- Job Description The person marks outline or dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock, according to blueprint or drawing specifications; matches materials for color, grain, or texture; sets up and operates woodworking machines such as power saws, jointer, mortiser, tenoner, molder, and shaper, to cut and shape parts from Woodstock; trims component parts of joints to ensure snug fit, using handtools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files. Glues, fits, and clamps parts and subassemblies together to form complete unit, using clamps or clamping machine; uses various handtools to fabricate and repair wooden cabinets.
- Last Revised
- SectorWood & Carpentry
- NSQF LevelLevel 5
- Notional Hours4160
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
Furniture & Cabinet Maker has a wide scope of Employability ranging from self-employment, contractual employment to Industrial jobs. On successful completion of this course, the candidates shall be gainfully employed in the industries for following occupations:
- Furniture Maker, Wood
- Cabinet Maker
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, NAC holder trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Planned arrangements for RPL
- Only those candidates will be allowed to appear in the Test conducted by NCVT as Private candidate who have already acquired the National Trade Certificate.
- Three (03) years experience of the candidates wishing to appear as Private candidate after obtaining NTC should be in the same trade in which he proposed to acquire the National Apprenticeship Certificate.
- Private candidates possessing the minimum educational qualification required for engagement as an apprentice in that particular trade and the minimum experience as stated above would only be permitted.
- Candidates are to be sponsored by an establishment and should not be entertained directly.
- Only, the experience acquired by the candidate in an establishment implementing the Apprentices Act, 1961 should be considered and such certificate should be issued by the Officer In-charge of Training of that establishment.
- Qualification File QF_ATS_Furniture _ Cabinet Maker.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Estimated size (Hours) Level Stack timber vertically, horizontally and other ways. Perform different processes of seasoning of timber 100 5 Apply different types of preservation and preservatives 50 4 Identify different types of timber and their properties. 50 4 Find defects in timber. 50 4 Prepare cutting list according to drawing or sketches. Select, use and maintain hand tools. 100 4 Use special carpentry hand tools, such as bow saw, fret saw, key hole saw, block plane shoulder plane, compass plane, router etc. chisels boring tools, bits etc. Shape, sharpen and set different types of saws. 100 5 Perform grinding, sharpening and honing of plane blades chisels, etc. 50 4 Use workshop equipment such as use of bench hook benchstop shooting board, metre box, dowel plate etc. Use various types of adhesives. 100 5 Practice with laminated sheets –block boards, plywood hardboard, Nuwood, sunmica sheets, insulation, boards, etc. Use veneer in cabinet making & other furniture. 100 5 Perform carving work in the furniture making and cabinet work. Prepare dowels (wooden and metal) for various uses in furniture making. 160 5 Use different types of wood screws, nails, coach screw coach bolt, etc. Make and fit cabinet. 100 5 Make and fit hanging, or supporting plates (plain or dovetail plates etc, from M.S,. brass, G.I sheets). 200 5 Fit hinges, locks, handles, fasteners, flush bolts, tower bolts, dastors, hasp and staple, door ring, door bolts, eye and hook etc Use hand tools as per grain structure and knots. 200 5 Construct different types of joints under various group like lengthening, broadening and framing group –halving joints, mortise and tenon joints, housing joint, scarf joints, butt joints, rivet, tongued and grooved joints dovetail and other framing joints 200 5 Total (Block-I) 1560 5 Operate of wood working machines such as band saw, circular saw, surface planner, thickness, wood tuning, lathe, drilling machine, grinding, mortise, sanding machines etc. Use portable machines like drilling, sanling, routor. 200 5 Make layout on lay board to actual size for stool, chain and make different types of furniture such as stool, chair, table ,sofa set ,cot. Perform Curved and shaped work, use of template jit etc. 190 5 Manufacture cabinet, book case, rack, almirah as a project work. Make drawer, cupboard, Magazine rack with different types of fittings such as fitting of hinges lock handles. 60 5 Design and make different types if folding furniture like chair, table rack etc. composite metal structure Perform the work of gluing, cramping, pinning and finishing the furniture. 180 5 Prepare surface with toothing plane, scraper and sand paper. Prepare and apply stains. 200 5 Perform grain filing and artificial grain making on surface Prepare French polish and application thereof 100 5 Varnish, the furniture/cabinets. Make upholstery on stool top, chair seat, sofa set etc. 180 5 Use glass sheet/plastic sheet such as glass top for table, show case. Make picture frame and fit glass and finishes with polish. 50 5 Preparing of packing/crate for furniture. Repairing different types of furniture and cabinets. 50 5 Perform re-conditioning of articles, addition and alteration of the parts/of the furniture. 50 5 Cane chair seats and backs etc. 50 Total (Block-II) 1560 Basic Training, internal assessment and Examination 1040 5 Total 4160
- Formal structure of the qualification