Mechanic Lens/Prism Grinding (CTS)
- Job DescriptionThe individual makes different types of mirror such as glass mirror, furniture mirror, concave mirror, convex mirror etc. ; cleans, polishes & paints glasses, within required accuracy. He/she prepares curve generation, performs grinding, smoothing, hand polishing, centering & edging, cementing of lenses etc. The person is responsible for fusion of lenses, anti reflection coatings to manufacture spectacles lenses, prism and other flat surfaces etc; surface finish of optical components and for Inspection of various parameters of lens in use of optical instruments and devices such as Telescope, Microscope, Binoculars, Periscope etc.
- Last Revised
- SectorOptical Products
- NSQF LevelLevel 4
- Notional Hours2080
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
Mechanic Lens/ Prism Grinding has a wide scope of Employability ranging from self-employment, contractual employment to Industrial jobs. On successful completion of this course, the candidates shall be gainfully employed in the industries for following occupations:
- Glass Cutter, Other
- Mirror Silverer
- Lens Grinder
- Lens Polisher (Optical)
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, ITI passed out trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Planned arrangements for RPL
1. At present the students who have passed 10th class with minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant field can appear for NCVT theory and practical semester examination directly.
2. The students who have passed SCVT examination in ‘Mechanic Lens/ Prism Grinding’ trade can also appear for the NCVT Examination in the relevant semester and Trade directly
- Qualification File QF_Mech Lens-Prism Grinding_CTS_NSQF-4.pdf
- Supporting Documents
Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Estimated size (Hours) Level Recognize & comply safe working practices, environment regulation and housekeeping. 80 4 Plan and organize the work to make job as per specification applying different types of basic fitting operation and Check for dimensional accuracy. [Basic fitting operation – marking, Hack-sawing, Chiseling, Filing, Drilling, Taping and Grinding etc. Accu 240 4 Produce glass mirrors from sheet glass. [Different processes- cleaning, marking, drilling, forming, grinding, sensitizing, polishing etc.] 320 4 Perform different surface preparation- such as Silvering, Coppering, Painting of Glass mirrors Inspection and testing of Glasses and Glass mirrors. 120 4 Prepare furniture mirror, concave and convex mirror, dentist mirror, periscope etc. 80 4 Recognize & comply safe working practices, environment regulation and housekeeping. 40 4 Identify and demonstrate materials, parameters of different Lenses. 80 4 Make Lenses and Prisms. [Different operations-Curve generation, Grinding, Smoothing, Polishing & Hand Polishing, Centering & Edging, Inspection of various parameters, Cementing of lenses, Fusion Lenses , Anti reflection coatings ,] 160 4 Make spectacles lenses and carry out inspection & quality Control. 200 4 Make Prism & other flat surfaces. [Process-Removal from block, Cleaning, Measurement of parameters, Anti-reflection coating, Cementing (if applicable] 80 4 Surface finish on optical components by – continued Anti-reflection coatings on optics, Cementing of optical components, Silvering of Lenses and Prisms [ Processes- Manufacture of front surface & back surface mirrors, Chemical silvering on optics, Vacuum 120 4 Work with different optical instruments and devices [Telescope, Microscope, Binoculars, Periscope, Range Finder, Theodolites, Night Vision devices, Lensometer,, Auto Refractometer,, Slit refraction unit, Phoropter, Retinoscope.] 80 4 Make various spectacles, prism & magnifying glasses. 80 4 Revision, Project work and Examination 400 4 Total 2080