Structural Welder (ATS)
- Job Description Structural Welder fuses metal parts together using welding rod and oxygen acetylene flame or arc-welding power source and electrodes or gas flame or heating using flux and filler rods. Reads fabrication drawing, examines parts to be welded, cleans them and sets joints together with clamps ensuring safety measures. Joins metal pieces such as Steel, Stainless steel and Aluminium metals.
- Last Revised
- Code2018/CCM /DGT/02617
- NSQF LevelLevel 4
- Notional Hours2580
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
Structural Welder has a wide scope of Employability ranging from self-employment, contractual employment to Industrial jobs. On successful completion of this course, the candidates shall be gainfully employed in the industries for following occupations :
- Gas welder
- Electric welder
- Welding Technician
- MIG/MAG/GMAW Welder
- Resistance welder
- Welding Assistance
- welder and flame cutter
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, NAC holder trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Planned arrangements for RPL
- Only those candidates will be allowed to appear in the Test conducted by NCVT as Private candidate who have already acquired the National Trade Certificate.
- Three (03) years experience of the candidates wishing to appear as Private candidate after obtaining NTC should be in the same trade in which he proposed to acquire the National Apprenticeship Certificate.
- Private candidates possessing the minimum educational qualification required for engagement as an apprentice in that particular trade and the minimum experience as stated above would only be permitted.
- Candidates are to be sponsored by an establishment and should not be entertained directly.
- Only, the experience acquired by the candidate in an establishment implementing the Apprentices Act, 1961 should be considered and such certificate should be issued by the Officer In-charge of Training of that establishment.
- Qualification File QF_ATS_Structural Welder.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Estimated size (Hours) Level Introduction to safety equipment used in structural welding and their use, setting up Gas cutting equipment and cutting MS Flats to required size. 100 4 Setting up SMAW Welding equipment and making straight and weaving bead on MS in all positions, Practice on plasma cutting, Practice on gouging techniques. 120 4 Weld joint preparation for fillet weld/Structural fitting (Cutting to size, fit up, tack weld etc.), Fillet, Lap and T joint on MS flat by SMAW, position - 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F & 5F. 130 4 Weld joint preparation for plate groove welding, Full penetration Single "V"butt joint on MS Flat by SMAW in 1G, 2G, 3G & 4G Positions, Root pass welding & LPI(Liquid Penetrant Inspection) testing, Cover pass welding & inspection. 130 4 Setting up GTAW welding equipment and making beading practice on MS in down hand position, Square butt joint on M.S, SS Sheet and Aluminium in down hand position. Root pass welding by TIG and LPI test, cover pass welding, inspection clearance. 130 4 M.S square butt Tube (Square or rectangular) welding and T,Y,K tube(Square or rectangular) joints by TIG welding. 120 4 Double bevel butt joint on MS Flats in dissimilar thickness in down hand positions by SMAW, Root Inspection, Back Gouging, Adopting weld sequence for controlling distortion. 130 4 Pipe Elbow and T joints on MS pipes by SMAW in flat position, Pipe Y and K connection on M.S. pipe by SMAW, positions – Horizontal. 130 4 Practice on CO2 welding, Lap, T, Corner joints on GMAW process in down hand position. 120 4 Practice on Submerged Arc Welding machine - butt joint. 120 4 Dissimilar welding like SS and MS by SMAW/TIG. 120 4 Manufacturing of simple structures with L angles, channel and I & T sections using welding fixture by SMAW, Correction of distortion by cold &hot method. 120 4 Manufacturing of structures using M.S. Flat by SMAW, Adapting skip welding & back step welding method for controlling distortion. 120 4 Fabrication of pipe/cone on M.S. sheet by SMAW and Pressure pipe welding and joint by SMAW 5 F position and flange joints, M.S. pipe joint. 130 4 Weld test specimen - preparation as per a standard, Inspection & Testing. Preparation of WPS and PQR, weld inspection and test. 120 4 Root inspection by gouging, adopting weld sequence for controlling distortion, joints with dissimilar thickness. 120 4 Ultrasonic Testing, Radiographic film reviewing : Ultrasonic Testing, Radiographic film reviewing. 120 4 Total (Block-I) 2080 4 Basic Training, internal assessment and Examination 500 4 Total 2580 4
- Formal structure of the qualification